Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1875, citizens of newly chartered town subscribed to build school, as classes were held in Baptist Church, in 1880 Joseph Birch donated land (a part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant) specifying it always must be used for education. In 1882 Jefferson Institute opened as county primary school in this 2-story brick building with belfry, 6 classrooms and 3 teachers. In 1926, Jefferson became town high school, and reverted to grade school when a new county administered Falls Church High School opened in 1945. Jefferson converted to offices in 1956; Demolished in 1958.
Erected by City of Falls Church.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, City of Falls Church marker series.
Location. 38° 52.776′ N, 77° 10.009′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker is on East Broad Street (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to the Don Frady City Park. Marker is in this post office area: Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Birch House (a few steps from this marker); Turnpike Tollgate (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church Wren’s Tavern (about 600 feet away); Columbia Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harriet and George Brice (approx. ¼ mile away); Dulin Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Fairfax (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
More about this marker. The back of the marker displays a historical photograph of Jefferson Institute.
Also see . . . The Virginia Arbor Day Commons at Frady Park. (Submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,945 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on October 4, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on October 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.