Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Theodore Roosevelt / William Howard Taft
Former President Theodore Roosevelt
addressed a large crowd from
these steps on May 16, 1912.
He was introduced by C. B. De Weese.
William Howard Taft
President William Howard Taft
was the first sitting President to
visit Sidney. He spoke from this
location on May 23, 1912.
Taft was escorted by local
politician David Oldham.
Erected by Shelby County Historical Society and Shelby County GOP.
Location. 40° 17.102′ N, 84° 9.338′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is on Main Street (Ohio Route 29/47), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the east steps of the Shelby County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 E. Court Street, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Shelby County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Sidney and Shelby County Millenium Monument (a few steps from this marker); Shelby County Operation Desert Storm Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Bicentennial Shelby County Korean Conflict / Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Burkhart Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); US Bank (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Also see . . . 1912 Presidential Election. (Submitted on March 15, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on March 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.