Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Town Hall

 
 
Town Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
1. Town Hall Marker
Inscription. Town was incorporated in 1875. A simple frame town hall was built here about 1880 on 1/4 acre (part of 1729 248-acre Trammell grant). Town Hall bell was rung for council meetings and fires. Later used only for police station. Torn down in 1953. Town boundaries changed twice: once by charter amendment in 1890 which returned South Falls Church to Fairfax County for political purposes; Then by court action in 1936 which returned East Falls Church to Arlington County for tax advantages to its citizens. Thus Falls Church became smaller geographically as population grew from 500+ in 1875 to 5,338 in 1948.
 
Erected by City of Falls Church.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, City of Falls Church marker series.
 
Location. 38° 52.904′ N, 77° 10.308′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street (U.S. 29) and Broad Street (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Star Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); New York Memorial Stone at Falls Church
The Marker Stands just South of the Intersection of Broad and Washington Streets image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
2. The Marker Stands just South of the Intersection of Broad and Washington Streets
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Falls Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); To the Glory of God and in Honor of George Washington (about 300 feet away); James Wren (about 300 feet away); Henry Fairfax (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Falls Church (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named The Falls Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
 
Also see . . .  East Falls Church. (PDF) Short history of the community, with discussion of the break from Falls Church and addition to Arlington County. The section twice shifted jurisdiction. Rejoining Virginia when leaving the District of Columbia in 1846, then later as mentioned on the marker in 1936 from Falls Church to Arlington County. (Submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,573 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement