Aiken in Aiken County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This school was founded by the Freedmen's Bureau shortly after the Civil War to educate freedmen, women, and children. In 1868 Martha Schofield, a Quaker from Pennsylvania, came to Aiken and began her long career as superintendent. The school soon expanded to this two-block site and combined academics with instruction in industrial, farming, and homemaking skills. The 1897 Schofield School bulletin declared, "Character building is our most important work."
Schofield School educated more than 6000 students by 1898. Many graduates became teachers and department heads here; others became successful business owners, professionals, farmers, and community leaders. In 1940 alumnus Sanford P. Bradby became its first African-American superintendent. As first a private and later a public school, Schofield has taught children of all races and creeds since 1866. The bell tower nearby once stood atop Carter Hall, built in 1882.
Erected 2001 by The Aiken County Historical Society and the Martha Schofield Historic Preservation Committee. (Marker Number 2-19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Aiken County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 33° 33.695′ Touch for map. Located between Barnwell Avenue and Edgefield Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 Kershaw Street Northeast, Aiken SC 29801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aiken First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Defense of Aiken (approx. 0.3 miles away); Aiken County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Aiken County 125th Anniversary (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Detection of the Neutrino, 1956 / The Nobel Prize In Physics, 1995 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Aiken County Farmers' Market (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Aiken (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Original Survey of Aiken (approx. half a mile away); Aiken County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aiken.
Also see . . . Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands. The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, usually referred to as the Freedmen's Bureau, was a U.S. federal government agency that aided distressed refugees and freedmen (freed slaves) in 1865-1872, during the Reconstruction era of the United States. (Submitted on January 6, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Landmarks • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,092 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.