Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
King of Prussia in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Officer’s Quarters

 
 
Officer’s Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
1. Officer’s Quarters Marker
Inscription. In contrast to soldiers’ log huts, officers’ quarters appear lavish. But the present houses look significantly different from encampment days. Architectural modifications have more than doubled the size of General Henry Knox’s “quarters.” Though a number of officers began the encampment in local farmhouses, many (including Knox) later moved into huts to be closer to their men.

Reluctant Hosts
Valley Forge farms were generally prosperous; the area had been cleared and settled since the early 1700s. When the army arrived, many nearby homes and farmhouses were converted to military use. While political loyalties were divided, most civilians simply wished to be left free of the conflict.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Location. 40° 5.152′ N, 75° 27.221′ W. Marker is in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Valley Creek Road (Pennsylvania Route 252), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the tour road in Valley Forge National Historical Park, between stops 4 and 5. Marker is in this post office area: King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knox’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this
Marker in Valley Forge image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
2. Marker in Valley Forge
marker); Virginia (approx. 0.4 miles away); To Build a Redoubt (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of Unknown Soldiers (approx. half a mile away); Quarters of Major General William Alexander (approx. half a mile away); Anthony Wayne (approx. half a mile away); Generals and Cattle Raids (approx. half a mile away); Upper Forge Site (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in King of Prussia.
 
More about this marker. The left of the marker contains an illustration of the changes that the house has undergone over the years. Indicated are how it appeared in ca. 1771, ca. 1825-1925 and the 1975 reconstruction. The upper right of the marker contains a portrait of General Henry Knox. Below this is a map showing the location of the marker and of the houses that served as headquarters of other American generals. It has a caption of “Four generals were housed in this area: Henry Knox, William Maxwell, Lord Stirling, and the Marquis de Lafayette.”
 
Also see . . .
Knox's Quarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
3. Knox's Quarters
The architectural modifications illustrated on the marker can be seen in this photo.
 Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement