Wilmington in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Grace Methodist Church
Organized December 24, 1797
Bishop Francis Asbury preached here January 1813.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 34° 14.355′ N, 77° 56.688′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker is at the intersection of Grace Street and North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on Grace Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Grace Street, Wilmington NC 28401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Powell - Yopp House (within shouting distance of this marker); William G. Craig House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mark’s (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John A. Winslow (about 700 feet away); Thomas F. Wood (about 700 feet away); Thomas F. Price St. Mark’s Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); St. Stephen A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Also see . . . History of Grace United Methodist Church. “Around 1795, William Meredith, formerly a missionary from Great Britain, came to Wilmington to preach to the slaves. He bought land and built a small meeting house. When it burned, he led his members in building another church at the corner of Second and Walnut Streets. In Meredith’s will, dated 1799, the church and parsonage were deeded to Bishop Francis Asbury for the continuance of a Methodist Episcopal Church in Wilmington. While many of the early members were slaves, community leaders were also attracted by the Gospel preached here. Membership increased and additional property was purchased, extending church holdings to Front Street. In 1815 Bishop Asbury ordered the church rebuilt and the parsonage enlarged.” (Submitted on March 21, 2010.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the inside of the church • Can you help?