Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cain- Matthews- Tompkins House
This house, built ca. 1910 for Columbia businessman John Jefferson Cain (1869-1929), was designed by William Augustus Edwards (1866-1939), a prominent regional architect. Cain, who moved to Columbia in 1899, became one of the state’s leading contractors and built such Columbia landmarks as the Arcade (1912) and the Palmetto Building (1913). He also financed, built, and owned the Jefferson Hotel (1913).
J. Pope Matthews, president of the Palmetto National Bank, lived here from ca. 1913 to 1931, when Arthur S. Tompkins bought the house. It remained in the Tompkins family until 1974, when the University of South Carolina acquired it. The house, threatened by demolition for several years, was designated a local historic landmark in 2002. It was renovated and opened as The Inn at USC in 2005.
Erected 2006 by The Historic Columbia Foundation. (Marker Number 40-132.)
Location. 34° 0.044′ N, 81° 1.512′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Pendelton Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Henderson Street and Pickens Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Horry-Guignard House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gibbes Green (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henderson Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Home of Wade Hampton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pickens Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Original President's House 1807 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnwell Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Rutledge College (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . William A. Edwards ,Architect, University of Florida, 1905-1925. William Augustus Edwards (1866-1939), a native of Darlington, S.C., was one of the primary architects of educational buildings in the Southeastern U. S. in the early 20th century.... (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.