Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fremont in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Leal Tank House

 
 
Leal Tank House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 14, 2010
1. Leal Tank House Marker
Inscription. Joseph Silviera Leal and Julia Perry Leal built this tank house on their ranch in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont in 1925. The lower floor was a storage room and the upper floor a bedroom. The tank on top stored 5,000 gallons of water pumped from a 100' deep well. It was the only source of water for the Leal home and livestock for 57 years.

The tank house was reconstructed at Ardenwood in 2004 by community volunteers from local Rotary Clubs and spearheaded by members of Mission San Jose Rotary. It is dedicated to the memory of Charles “Skip” Domville who initiated this project as part of his efforts to preserve local history.

A tank house similar to this one, once supplied all the water for the Patterson House, gardens and other nearby buildings.
 
Erected by East Bay Regional Park District.
 
Location. 37° 33.43′ N, 122° 2.922′ W. Marker is in Fremont, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Ardenwood Boulevard near California Highway 84. Touch for map. Marker is located near the Patterson House at the Ardenwood Historic Farm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 34600 Ardenwood Boulevard, Fremont CA 94555, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Leal Tank House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 14, 2010
2. Leal Tank House and Marker
4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ardenwood Historic Farm / George Washington Patterson Ranch (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carter Brothers (approx. 2 miles away); Wind-Powered Archimedes Screw-Pump (approx. 2.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Flight 93 Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of the Nationís First Successful Beet Sugar Factory (approx. 3.2 miles away); First County Courthouse (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pioneer Schoolhouse & Chapel (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Chadbourne Carriage House (approx. 3.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fremont.
 
Also see . . .  The Leal Family. The family of Antonio Silveira and Rosa Candida lived on the island of Faial, Azores. Their grandson, Joseph Silveira Leal was the first Leal to come to the U.S. He worked his way across the country to Mission San Jose where he eked out a living as a barber and sharecropper. He eventually saved enough to buy 27 acres near Mission San Jose. (Submitted on March 25, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Natural ResourcesNotable Buildings
 
Leal Tank House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 14, 2010
3. Leal Tank House
Photo Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
4. Photo Displayed on Marker
The tank house on the Leal Ranch
All Photos courtesy of Bernie Leal
Photos Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
5. Photos Displayed on Marker
Upper Photo:
Tank House

Lower Photo
Bernie Leal (grandson of Julia and Joseph) donated the tank to the City of Fremont.
Photo Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
6. Photo Displayed on Marker
Julia Perry Leal and Joseph Silveria Leal wedding photo, 1899.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,389 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 25, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement