Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mason Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
In spite of small numbers and being welcomed by the mostly white congregation of First Methodist Episcopal Church, African Americans in Findlay in the 1880s wanted to express their faith in ways that best reflected their freedoms and traditions. By the mid-1880s, the congregation was meeting in members' homes and the Odd Fellows Hall, but began fund raising to build their own church in 1885. The congregation was admitted to the North Ohio Conference of the Third Episcopal District of the African Methodist Church in 1885, one of the first churches to be so admitted. The building on Liberty Street was well underway by the end of 1887 on a lot donated by Judge D. J. Cory. The original twenty foot by forty foot building cost $2,000 and immediately became a focal point for religion and social events for Findlay's African American community.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The first minister of the church was the Reverend Thomas A. Woodson, the great-grandson of Sally Hemings. The third minister was Reverend John H. Mason, under whose administration the church was finally completed and opened with services beginning on December 12, 1892. The church was named for Reverend Mason. While undergoing some physical transitions and additions, Mason Chapel African Methodist
Christ Our Redeemer
Man Our Brother
-African Methodist Episcopal Church Motto
Erected 2006 by Mason Chapel AME Church, Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.895′ N, 83° 39.301′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on Liberty Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. between Lima Street and Lima Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 845 Liberty Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era (approx. half a mile away); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (approx. 0.6 miles Hancock County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (approx. 0.6 miles away); First School Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
Also see . . . History of the AME Church's Third Episcopal District. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 831 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.