Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Henry L. Scarborough House
Erected 1996 by The Sumter County Historical Society. (Marker Number 43-26.)
Location. 33° 55.715′ N, 80° 20.492′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located north of Loring Drive/ Warren Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 North Main Street, Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elizabeth White House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sumter Institute (approx. ╝ mile away); The Tuomey Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military Post / Potter's Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (approx. Sumter World War II Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Regarding Henry L. Scarborough House. Built in 1908-08, the Henry Lee Scarborough House is on of the few remaining examples of early twentieth-century Neo-Classical Revival architecture in Sumter. The house stood in a residential neighborhood just a few blocks north of the heart of downtown Sumter. This neighborhood featured large houses on spacious lots until the 1950s, when most of the historic houses fell to the wrecking ball in the name of progress. Henry Lee Scarborough was one of the leading agriculturists in Sumter County. He was also very active as a public servant and in civic affairs. A full-fašade porch supported by massive columns crowned with Corinthian capitals dominates the house. The interior of the house reflects the rich woodwork typical of the style. Listed in the National Register January 20, 1995.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.