Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Anne Catholic Church
Members of the Catholic Church of St.Lawrence laid the cornerstone of the Catholic Church of St. Anne here in 1909 next to St. Joseph's Academy (1862-1929). St. Anne's is an early Gothic revival structure, with a cruciform floor plan. For the past several decades the parish has operated a school here and, since 1974, has been served by an order of priests known as the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
Sumter County's first Catholic Church was built, 1838, on Providence Plantation, near present day Dalzell. Some time later, the church was closed and then sold. The proceeds were "invested in the future church of Sumterville." The old Methodist Church, 1848, located within the present 300 block of West Liberty Street, was purchased, remodeled, and dedicated to Saint Lawrence, martyr. The cemetery was relocated on West Oakland Avenue retaining the same name.
Erected by Sumter Institute Alumnae Association.
Location. 33° 55.206′ N, 80° 20.194′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on East Liberty Street (US 76, State Road 763) near South Lafayette Drive (US 15), on the right when traveling east Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumter Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clara Louise Kellogg (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sumter World War II Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sumterville Academy (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.