Central in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Central Consolidated School
A new brick building at this site greeted approximately 200 students in grades one through eleven when it opened in September 1929. With J.W. Dunn presiding as superintendent, Central Consolidated boasted nine teachers and had eight students in its first graduating class.
Over the years, Central Consolidated became the focal point of the community. Its growth led to the construction of separate buildings for primary, elementary, junior high and high school classes, three gymnasiums, a cafetorium, and technology and agricultural buildings. Additional schools, including Cordaway Springs and Simpson, merged with Central Consolidated in 1939-40. In 1955, Central converted from a common school district to an independent school district.
Providing a strong educational foundation and extracurricular activities for students in the northwestern part of Angelina County, Central Consolidated has played a significant role in the county's educational history.
Erected 2002 by Texas
Location. 31° 25.709′ N, 94° 48.696′ W. Marker is in Central, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on U.S. 69, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7622 US 69N, Pollok TX 75969, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gann Memorial Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Pollok Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pollok Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Redland Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Charles "Charlie" Wilson (approx. 5.7 miles away); Walker Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas (approx. 6.1 miles away); German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,321 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.