Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Alexander Wilson

 
 
Alexander Wilson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Patrick G. Jordan, March 28, 2010
1. Alexander Wilson Marker
Inscription. Teacher in Piedmont area from 1819 to 1867; operated own school in Alamance County, 1851 - 67. Home is 1 mile, grave is 3½ miles northeast.
 
Erected 1971 by State Department of Archives and History. (Marker Number G 55.)
 
Location. 36° 1.694′ N, 79° 20.759′ W. Marker is near Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 54 and State Highway 119, on the left when traveling east on State Highway 54. Touch for map. Located in front of Alexander Wilson Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2518 Highway 54, Graham NC 27253, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Butler (approx. 1.1 miles away); W. Kerr Scott (approx. 1.2 miles away); Johnston Moves West (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Johnston Moves West (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hawfields Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Graham College (approx. 4 miles away); Kirk-Holden War (approx. 4 miles away); Captain James W. White House (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
 
Regarding Alexander Wilson. Dr. Alexander Wilson was a presbyterian
Alexander Wilson Marker in front of Elementary School That Bears the Same Name image. Click for full size.
By Patrick G. Jordan, March 28, 2010
2. Alexander Wilson Marker in front of Elementary School That Bears the Same Name
minister who emigrated from Ireland in 1818 and settled in Raleigh, N.C. He was a teacher and principal at several boys' schools, including the Caldwell Institute located at Greensboro, N.C., 1836-1845. The Caldwell Institute moved to Hillsborough, N.C., where it operated 1845-1850.

Dr. Wilson moved to Alamance County and opened a private school, Melville Academy. It operated in the Hawfields area from 1851 to 1867. The school was closed after Dr. Wilson's death in 1867.

The current Alexander Wilson School was established in 1922 and has served as both a high school and elementary school.

A collection of Alexander Wilson's papers is held in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Reverend Alexander Wilson, D.D. (Doctor of Divinity) is buried at Hawfields Presbyterian Church,2115 South NC Highway 119, near the intersection with Turner Rd. South west of Mebane, NC.

His tombstone states that he was born 1 Feb 1799, near Belfast, Ireland. He died 22 Jul 1867.
 
Additional keywords. Mebane, Hawfields, Melville, Burlington, Swepsonville, Saxapahaw, Haw River
 
Categories. EducationNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,691 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement