Haddonfield in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Grove School
Mr. Hopkins wanted all the children of the village to have educational opportunity. Up to that time, the Friends was the only school in Haddonfield.
On July 7th, 1855, the Old Grove School became the first Public School in Haddonfield.
It was understood that any religious group could hold service here and three of our churches met and were organized in the Grove School; The Baptist – 1818, the Methodist – 1829, the Episcopal – 1842.
Also Mount Pisgah Methodist 1887 – Mt. Olivet Baptist 1892
Erected by Haddonfield Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, assisted by The Board of Education and the Haddonfield Commissioners.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 54.131′ N, 75° 1.895′ W. Marker is in Haddonfield, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Street and Lake Street, on the left when traveling west on Grove Street. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Indian King Tavern State Historic Site (NR) (approx. ¼ mile away); Indian King Tavern (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Haddonfield (approx. ¼ mile away); Guard House (approx. ¼ mile away); Ye Kings Highway (approx. ¼ mile away); Reeves-Glover House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jonas Cattell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hessian Army during the Revolutionary War (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haddonfield.
More about this marker. An engraving of the Old Grove School appears on the top of the marker.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 653 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.