Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Kendall Institute, founded on this site in 1891, was one of the first black schools in Sumter. It was funded by the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. The institute was named for Mrs. Julia B. Kendall, late wife of Rev. Henry Kendall, secretary of the Board of Missions 1870-1892. It emphasized academics for primary and secondary grades; some students boarded here in a girls’ dormitory or a boys’ cottage.
The pastors of the Second Presbyterian Church of Sumter were also principals of Kendall Institute: Revs. J.C. Watkins (1891-1903); A.U. Frierson (1903-1916); J.P. Foster (1916-1928); and J.P. Pogue (1928-1932). Under Foster’s tenure the institute boasted 272 students in 1918 and added agricultural and industrial classes and athletics. It closed in 1932 after the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. stopped funding its Southern parochial schools during the Depression.
Erected 2006 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-38.)
Location. 33° 54.751′ N, 80° 20.382′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on Watkins Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clara Louise Kellogg (approx. half a mile away); Mount Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); St. Anne Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sumterville Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sumter District Confederate Dead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,130 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.