Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry
The original POW camp, known as Camp Number 1 was located just north of the city on U.S. Hwy 69. Southland paper mills, led by Ernest Kurth, S.W. Henderson and Arthur Temple, leased an abandoned CCC camp from the U.S. Forest Service. Construction of the camp began in November 1943 and it officially opened on February 15, 1944. The camp's 300 German prisoners produced pulpwood until it closed in 1946. Southland's success with POW labor encouraged other lumber companies to follow suit. Southland established
Texas in World War II.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commision. (Marker Number 13709.)
Location. 31° 21.367′ N, 94° 45.148′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on North Raguet Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2221 N. Raguet Street, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas (here, next to this marker); Charles "Charlie" Wilson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Birthplace of Allan Shivers (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Depot Explosion and Mystery (approx. 1.8 miles away); KRBA-AM Radio Station (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. 1.8 miles away); Angelina (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Categories. • Government • Industry & Commerce • Military • Natural Resources • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,388 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.