Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dawson Stone House

 
 
Dawson Stone House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
1. Dawson Stone House Marker
Inscription. Real estate developers Mary and Nannie Dawson built this house about 1900 as part of the South Heights expansion of Austin. The sisters were pioneer teachers in free public school system.

Mary (Molly) was principal of Fulmore School, but she left teaching to pursue real estate. The builder was probably their brother and partner, Nick Dawson, who built several other stone houses. The house is typical of middle class homes of the time.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14274.)
 
Location. 30° 15.321′ N, 97° 45.702′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on South Lamar Boulevard (State Highway 343) south of Treadwell Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1105 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Becker School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Millbrook (Roy-Hardin House) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old I.V. Davis Homestead (approx. half a mile away); Mary Street Stone House (approx. half a mile away); Rocky Cliff
Dawson Stone House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
2. Dawson Stone House
(approx. half a mile away); Michael Paggi House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Green Pastures (approx. 0.7 miles away); Texas School for the Deaf (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement