Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1991
After nearly a century of residential and commercial use, this building was bought with City assistance, remodeled in 1992, and enlarged in 1998. The rear section of the building was demolished and rebuilt, but the original facade has been preserved and restored.
Erected 1998 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 51.845′ N, 122° 15.965′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Dwight Way, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2134 Dwight Way, Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barker Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shuman Block Howard Automobile Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles W. Woodworth House (approx. ¼ mile away); Morse Block (approx. 0.3 miles away); McCreary-Greer House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tupper & Reed Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Berkeley City Club (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Regarding Davis-Byrne Building. Additional information from the Historic American Building Survey notes for this structure:
Construction of the building began in 1895, with a total construction cost of $1,363.
The contractor for construction was Anderson and Greig. HABS notes that although an 1895 construction notice lists the owner, Glennie Davis, as the architect, it was likely that the contractor was also the architect, as it was common practice at the time to list the owner as architect, and Davis (a bookkeeper) had no known experience in architecture.
The building was partially destroyed by fire on May 23, 1902, and subsequently rebuilt. According to the newspaper report of the
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 884 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.