Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Spanish 18-Pounder

 
 
Spanish 18-Pounder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Spanish 18-Pounder Marker
Inscription. Spanish 18-pounder bronze smooth bore gun cast in Lima, Peru, 1769
Captured by the United States Navy from the Mexicans in California in 1847
 
Location. 38° 58.922′ N, 76° 29.204′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Blake Road near Maryland Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located Northwest side of the Naval Academy Chapel, in front of Administration Building. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Cayetano (here, next to this marker); Old Fashioned Anchors (within shouting distance of this marker); Peggy Stewart House (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Naval Academy Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Commander William Lewis Herndon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The English Frigate “Augusta” (about 300 feet away); Zimmerman Bandstand (about 300 feet away); One Hundredth Anniversary of the U.S. Naval Academy (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
 
Also see . . .  The Mexican–American War. California Campaign January 9, 1847, the Americans fought and won the Battle of La Mesa. On January 12, the last significant body
Spanish 18-Pounder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 5, 2010
2. Spanish 18-Pounder Marker
of Californios surrendered to U.S. forces. That marked the end of armed resistance in California, and the Treaty of Cahuenga was signed the next day, on January 13, 1847. (Submitted on April 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. War, Mexican-American
 
Spanish 18-Pounder Marker (left) and San Cayetano Cannons image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., March 15, 2008
3. Spanish 18-Pounder Marker (left) and San Cayetano Cannons
The building in the background is Old Quarters No. 10 and No. 11, currently serving as the Naval Academy Administration Building. What looks like decorative cement balls on either side of the entrance are actually Stone Cannon Balls, "Type of 600 pound shot fired by Turks from their great guns" during the "conquest of Constantinople, 1453."
Spanish 18-Pounder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., March 15, 2008
4. Spanish 18-Pounder Marker
Detail of the crest on the cannon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,271 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on April 16, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement