Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Angelina & Neches River Railroad
In 1906, the line added 2.54 miles of track, with its eastern terminus at Alco, a logging camp owned by the lumber company. Two new locomotives were purchased to accommodate the conversion of the track from narrow to standard gauge. By 1911, the line extended to Chireno in Nacogdoches County. With the founding of Southland Paper Mills in 1938, made possible largely due to assets of the A&NR, the railroad expanded to haul in pulpwood and ship out newsprint made from southern pine.
In its first 100 years, the Angelina & Neches River's short line service played a key role in the economic development of Lufkin and other communities along the line. It continues as an important part of the history of the East Texas
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12377.)
Location. 31° 22.092′ N, 94° 43.05′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Spence Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2225 Spence Street, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mantooth Farm (approx. 1.6 miles away); Angelina (approx. 1.8 miles away); Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. 1.9 miles away); Walker Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
More about this marker. The marker is located in front of the building in a secured area. It is not accessible at all times.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,214 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.