Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This graceful yet sturdy building is of the Italianate design. Shoes have been sold here since 1864, making it Ohio's oldest continuously operating footwear location. William Covill operated his store here in 1870. John Burkhart built the current structure in 1880. Robert Kayser and others owned it over the years. It has been the home of Ron & Nita's since 1986 and is currently owned by Virginia and Kenneth Kaser.
Erected 2008 by Sidney County Historical Society, Sidney Visitors Bureau and Embarq.
Location. 40° 17.076′ N, 84° 9.293′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Avenue (Ohio Route 47) and Court Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 S. Main Avenue, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shelby County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Roosevelt / William Howard Taft (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); US Bank (about 300 Shelby County Operation Desert Storm Memorial (about 300 feet away); Sidney and Shelby County Millenium Monument (about 300 feet away); George Washington Bicentennial (about 300 feet away); Shelby County Korean Conflict / Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 587 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.