Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Jefferson Street Methodist Church

 
 
Jefferson Street Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Daniel Pickering, October 16, 2009
1. Jefferson Street Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This was the first Methodist congregration in Natchez formed in the early 1800s, and the 1st building was constructed in 1807. The 1st Sunday School south of Philadelphia, Pa., was organized here in 1829.
 
Erected 1974 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.645′ N, 91° 23.994′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and North Union Street on Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the church just to the right of the main stairs. Marker is at or near this postal address: 511 Jefferson Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Cokesbury Chapel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bud Scott (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bank of Mississippi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andrew Marschalk (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Natchez Burning" (approx. mile away); The First Presbyterian Church
Jefferson Street Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Daniel Pickering, October 16, 2009
2. Jefferson Street Methodist Church
Marker is to right of church just right 'phone pole and left of lamp.
(approx. mile away); Commercial Bank Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Temple B'Nai Israel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Regarding Jefferson Street Methodist Church. I grew up going to Jefferson Street Methodist. The pipe organ still has the original foot pumps, 25 "display" pipes above the keyboard in the front and 25 more "display" pipes in front of the rear pipes in the balcony. It also still has the original slate roof tile on the main sanctuary which is the original building.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2010, by Daniel Pickering of Cupertino, California. This page has been viewed 929 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 12, 2010, by Daniel Pickering of Cupertino, California.   2. submitted on April 13, 2010, by Daniel Pickering of Cupertino, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement