Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beltsville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brown’s Tavern

 
 
Brown's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
1. Brown's Tavern Marker
Inscription. This plaque and garden commemorate the site of Brown’s Tavern, a Prince George’s County Historic Site that served travelers on the former Baltimore-Washington turnpike from the early 1830’s to the early 1990’s. It was constructed and owned by the stagecoach company of Richard Stockton and William B. Stokes. John Brown purchased the tavern in 1835 and operated it until his death in 1862. The tavern was the centerpiece of the Del Haven White House Motel and Cottages, which opened in the early 1940’s. The deteriorated structure was demolished in November 2001.
 
Location. 39° 1.316′ N, 76° 55.517′ W. Marker is in Beltsville, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1) and IKEA Center Way, on the right when traveling south on Baltimore Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beltsville MD 20705, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Rhodes’ Tavern (here, next to this marker); Beltsville Agricultural Research Center - West (approx. 0.3 miles away); Van Horn’s Tavern (approx. 1.4 miles away); College Park War Memorial (approx. 1.6
Brown's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
2. Brown's Tavern Marker
miles away); Ebenezer Meeting House (approx. 2 miles away); Methodist Preaching Place (approx. 2 miles away); Mother Jones (approx. 2.1 miles away); Welcome to the Luther Goldman Birding Trail (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beltsville.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Brown’s Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, October 13, 2007
3. Brown’s Tavern Marker
Del Haven White House Cottages on US 1, 7 Miles North of Washington, D. C. image. Click for full size.
J. J. Prats Postcard Collection
4. Del Haven White House Cottages on US 1, 7 Miles North of Washington, D. C.
The back of the postcard reads, “Fifty Brick Cottages with Hotel Accommodations. Each with tile bath, Beautyrest Mattresses and Steam Heat. Radios and Sitting Rooms in some. F.M. Irwin, Prop. and Mgr. Tel. Tower 4-852, Washington. 7 miles north of Washington D.C. on US 1, Berwyn, Maryland. AAA.”
Brown’s Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
5. Brown’s Tavern Marker
Brown's Tavern image. Click for full size.
Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), September 1988
6. Brown's Tavern
Note the historic marker to the right of the building.
Brown's Tavern image. Click for full size.
Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), May 1998
7. Brown's Tavern
Cottages image. Click for full size.
Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), May 1998
8. Cottages
Cottages, as seen in lower right of postcard image. Click for full size.
Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), May 1988
9. Cottages, as seen in lower right of postcard
Milestone, in front of Brown's Tavern image. Click for full size.
Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), September 1988
10. Milestone, in front of Brown's Tavern
Indicating 25 miles to Baltimore
Brown's Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
11. Brown's Tavern
Close-up of image on marker
Brown’s Tavern Site image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
12. Brown’s Tavern Site
The outlines of Brown's Tavern and its four chimney are marked out in stone.
25 M to B image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
13. 25 M to B
This is the only remaining milestone on the 1813 Baltimore Washington Turnpike.
Site of Rhodes' Tavern marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 4, 2013
14. Site of Rhodes' Tavern marker
Lieutenant-General George Washington “dined at Rhodes” December 18, 1798, on his last journey from Philadelphia to Mount Vernon.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,345 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   4. submitted on October 19, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5. submitted on August 6, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   11, 12, 13. submitted on August 5, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   14. submitted on August 6, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement