Barkhamsted in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Hollow Church Bell
[ right plaque ]
This bell hung in the Hollow Church which was relocated during construction of the Compensating Reservoir. It was cast in Hartford, CT in 1834.
[ left plaque ]
Location. 41° 55.474′ N, 72° 57.912′ W. Marker is in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Pleasant Valley Road (Connecticut Route 318) and Beach Rock Road, on the right when traveling north on Pleasant Valley Road. Touch for map. Located next to the Barkhamsted Center Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Barkhamsted CT 06063, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barkhamsted (within shouting distance of this marker); Barkhamsted Soldiers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Barkhamsted Center Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Squire's Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles Austin Hawes Memorial Campground (approx. 2.1 miles away); Camp White (approx. 2.5 miles away); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); Peoples State Forest (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barkhamsted.
More about this marker. This bell formerly hung in the Universalist Church in Barkhamsted Hollow. The village of Barkhamsted Hollow, along with many houses, farms and the Church, were lost when the Saville Dam was completed in 1940 on the East Branch of the Farmington River, forming the Barkhamsted Reservoir to serve the Hartford city area.
Also see . . . Barkhamsted Hollow on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.