Orinda in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Pony Express
This plaque commemorates the passage in 1860 and 1861 of the Pony Express riders from Sacramento to San Francisco through what is now Orinda.
Sponsored by the City of Orinda's Historical Landmark Committee and the Pony Express Trail Association.
Erected by City of Orinda Historical Landmark Committee and the Pony Express Trail Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 37° 52.674′ N, 122° 10.93′ W. Marker is in Orinda, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Camino Pablo and Brookwood Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orinda CA 94563, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bryant Station Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tres Ranchos Del Sur (approx. one mile away); Kennedy Tunnel (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron (approx. 3.5 miles away); Lafayette Town Hall (approx. Lafayette House (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dedicated to the Pony Express (approx. 3.6 miles away); Geils Building (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orinda.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a low rock next to the sidewalk that cuts through the Crossroads Mini Park. Due to the surrounding shrubbery, the marker is not visible from a distance.
Regarding The Pony Express. Ordinarily Folsom or Sacramento served as the western terminus of the Pony Express route for horse-carried mail, with the remainder of the route being served by train and/or steamship. However, on approximately 20 occasions the mail was, due to scheduling difficulties, carried by horseback between Sacramento and San Francisco, using a route that took the riders through what is now the City of Orinda.
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,350 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.