Colebrook in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Rock School
Used from 1779 until 1911, it had several different names as school districts were added to the growing town.
To our knowledge, this is the only colonial schoolhouse in Connecticut never to have been modernized. The Rock School has never had electricity or running water. It is an active museum, owned and operated by the Colebrook Historical Society. It is open to the public, and is used as a learning tool by Colebrook school children.
The Colebrook Historical Society
Location. 42° 0.43′ N, 73° 6.438′ W. Marker is in Colebrook, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Colebrook Road and Bunnell Street, on the right when traveling north on Colebrook Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colebrook CT 06021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colebrook (approx. 1.4 miles away); Colebrook Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hale Barn and Trail (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mills - Emerson House Norfolk Veterans Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); Norfolk Soldiers Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Norfolk Academy (approx. 4.9 miles away); Norfolk (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colebrook.
Also see . . . History of the Rock School. (Submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.