Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Welcome to Camden Tower Courtyard. The two towers that flank this entrance and the two former warehouses along the walkway are associated with Camden Depot, built in the 1850s. The former depot is part of the William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures National Historic Landmark. The landmark includes some of the best extant antebellum buildings associated with early railroad development in the South.
The most distinct features of Camden Depot are the tiered crenelated towers that front Ann Street. The crenelations or battlements create the look of a medieval fort or castle. The towers are made of stone and are typical of the Gothic Revival style. Gothic Revival is an architectural term that refers to the revival of building styles from the Middle Ages in Europe. It was popular in the United States from the 1830s until the 20th century, particularly for churches and educational buildings. It is this style that makes Camden Depot unique. Gothic Revival was an uncommon architectural design for railroad buildings.
The railroad ran down the center of this courtyard. If you look closely at the bricks, you can see they are laid in a pattern to recreate the tracks. On either side of the tracks are two former warehouses. The original buildings constructed in 1850 were wooden. The current brick and metal buildings
More information about Camden Depot and the South Carolina Canal 7 Rail Road Company is presented at several locations along the courtyard. An alternative version of the text is available at the Visitors Center.
“An intelligent, prosperous, and enterprising people are never long in embracing any system, which will be highly beneficial to their interests.” Ellias Horry, 1833.
These photos of Camden Depot were taken in 1969 prior to its restoration. Above is a portion of A Bird’s Eye View of Charleston drawn in 1874. Look for the depot. (All images courtesy of the Library of Congress.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 47.374′ N, 79° 56.261′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Ann Street west of Meeting Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The Camden Tower Courtyard is just west of the Charleston Visitor Center at 375 Meeting Street. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bound For Glory (within shouting distance of this marker); Building a Nation The Best Friend of Charleston (about 300 feet away); William Aiken House (about 300 feet away); The Railroad Comes To Charleston (about 300 feet away); Passengers and Products (about 400 feet away); The Civil War Submarine, H.L. Hunley (about 600 feet away); The Charleston Museum's Joseph Manigault House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . William Aiken House and Associated Railroad Structures National Historic Landmark. (Submitted on April 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Aiken, William, House and Associated Railroad Structures *** (added 1966 - District - #66000698)
456 King St., Charleston
•Historic Significance: Event
•Area of Significance: Transportation
•Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874
•Historic Function: Commerce/Trade,
•Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Recreation And Culture, Transportation
• Current Sub-function: Museum, Professional, Rail-Related
— Submitted January 14, 2011.
Additional keywords. Charleston Visitor Center; Urban Renewal.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on January 23, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.