San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Southern Paciﬁc Steam Locomotive No. 794
the spark-spewing wood-burning
locomotives to San Antonio in 1877,
opened a new era of development
A modern counterpart to the romantic
diamond stackers of yesteryear,
Southern Pacific Locomotive No. 794,
operated into and through
San Antonio between 1916 and 1956.
It has been placed on permanent
display through the co-operation of
the Southern Pacific Railroad,
the City of San Antonio, the Chamber
of Commerce and the Rotary Club of San Antonio.
James P. Hollers
President, Chamber of Commerce
J. Edwin Kuykendall
Mayor, City of San Antonio
February 22, 1957
Erected 1957 by Southern Pacific Railroad, the City of San Antonio, the Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club of San Antonio.
Location. 29° 25.27′ N, 98° 28.686′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Hoefgen Avenue and E. Commerce Street, on the right when traveling north on Hoefgen Avenue. Touch for map. Marker and locomotive are at the former Southern Pacific Lines railroad passenger depot, at St. Paul Square. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Steam Locomotive No. 794 (a few steps from this marker); Southern Pacific Passenger & Freight Station (within shouting distance of this marker); "Flower the Tower" (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Confluence of Civilizations in the Americas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Alamo Funeral Pyre (approx. half a mile away); Founding of the Pan American Round Table (approx. half a mile away); This Noble Cottonwood (approx. half a mile away); St. Joseph's Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.