Eagle Lake in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Eagle Lake
Early a cattle and farm market; after 1898 had rice production; later ranked as oil center and shipper of sand and gravel. Now fishing and goose hunting mecca.
Home town of Gen. H. H. Johnson (born in 1895), military governor of Rome, Italy in the 1940s.
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1325.)
Location. 29° 35.33′ N, 96° 20.05′ W. Marker is in Eagle Lake, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North McCarty Avenue, on the right when traveling north on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Lake TX 77434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rice Culture in Colorado County (within shouting distance of this marker); Lakeside Sugar Refinery (approx. 1½ miles away); Navigation of the Colorado River Frazarville (approx. 7 miles away); Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman (approx. 11.1 miles away); Alleyton C.S.A. (approx. 12.2 miles away); Benjamin Beason's Crossing (approx. 14½ miles away); Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing (approx. 14½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Lake.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. More about the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.