Shorewood in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The park was purchased in 1900 and renamed “Coney Island.” Its owners added a roller coaster, loud music and garish lights. These changes prompted growing dissatisfaction with the Town of Milwaukee which was collecting license fees.
In 1900, the community incorporated as the Village of East Milwaukee, renamed Shorewood in 1917. Ravenna Park, the last in a succession of parks, closed in 1916. The grounds were subdivided and the structures removed. Only Hubbard Park remains from the original Lueddemann’s-On-The-River.
Erected 2000. (Marker Number 446.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 4.944′ N, 87° 53.271′ W. Marker is in Shorewood, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on North Oakland Avenue just Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3500 N. Oakland Ave, Milwaukee WI 53211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Sauk Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carl Sandburg Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shorewood Village Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shorewood High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Golda Meir (approx. half a mile away); Milwaukee-Downer College Buildings (approx. half a mile away); Shorewood Armory (approx. 0.6 miles away); Milwaukee-Downer College (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shorewood.
Categories. • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.