Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo

 
 
Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Desaulniers, Jr., May 5, 2010
1. Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo Marker
Inscription.
1861 - 1865

This tablet is placed here by
Sarah E. Fuller - Tent No. 8
Daughters of Union Veterans
of the Civil War
Dept. of Michigan

in memory of
Orcutt Post No. 79
Kalamazoo, Dept. Of Mich.
Grand Army of the Republic
the veterans of the Civil War

This boulder is placed on the spot where Abraham Lincoln stood when he gave an anti- slavery address in August, 1856.
 
Erected by Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Dept. of Michigan.
 
Location. 42° 17.405′ N, 85° 35.113′ W. Marker is in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. Marker can be reached from West South Street near South Rose Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kalamazoo MI 49007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish War Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam U.S.S Maine (within shouting distance of this marker); Lincoln at Kalamazoo (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); First Women's Club in Michigan
Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Desaulniers, Jr., May 5, 2010
2. Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo Marker
(about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Kalamazoo Gazette (approx. 0.2 miles away); Epaphroditus Ransom (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalamazoo.
 
More about this marker. Boulder is located on the south side of Bronson Park about half way between South Rose Street and St John Place. The exact spot on which Lincoln stood when he delivered his address on August 27, 1856, is somewhat uncertain.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa. This page has been viewed 1,169 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement