Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek

 
 
Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 27, 2010
1. Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek Marker
Inscription. About 1800, Col. Thomas Taylor erected the small building, 1/4 mile upstream, where cotton goods were woven for his plantation needs. Here John and Edward Fisher later established one of the earliest spinning mills in Richland County, using slave labor and manufacturing cotton yarn.
 
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-40.)
 
Location. 34° 1.113′ N, 80° 57.834′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Forest Drive (State Highway 12), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Trenholm Road and Gregg Parkway,Forest Acres Community. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29206, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethel Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); 30th Inf Division (approx. 1.2 miles away); 31st Inf Division (approx. 1.2 miles away); 4th Infantry Division (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bridge at Remagen Stone (approx. 1.2 miles away); 108th Division (approx. 1.2 miles away); Darby Field (approx. 1.3 miles away); 26th Inf Division (approx. 1.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek.
Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek Marker, looking east along Forest Drive (State Road 12) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 27, 2010
2. Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek Marker, looking east along Forest Drive (State Road 12)
Located on the west side of Gill Creek
Col. Taylor built a mill on Gill Creek in 1796. The ruins stand near the present Old Mill Circle off Lakeview Circle off Trenholm Road. One of the original millstones lies within the walls of the ruins. Cotton goods were woven at the mill for Col. Taylor's plantation use. The mill was called Taylor's Mill. Later John and Edward Fisher operated it as a cotton spinning mill, and it became known as Fisher's Mill.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek Marker, looking west along Forest Drive image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 27, 2010
3. Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek Marker, looking west along Forest Drive
Mill Ruins image. Click for full size.
By Anna Inbody, January 14, 2012
4. Mill Ruins
On private property, visitors are not welcomed.
Grindstone in the mill ruins image. Click for full size.
By Anna Inbody, January 14, 2012
5. Grindstone in the mill ruins
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on February 1, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement