Ewington in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Ewington Citizens' Literary Institute purchased this site and sponsored the construction of Ewington Academy which opened in 1859. The building, designed by George Ewing, was financed by popular subscription with much labor and materials donated. It provided high school level education to approximately 60 students each year. It ceased operation as an academy in 1901 and then served as an elementary school until about 1947. Ewington Academy was listed on the National Register of Historic Places September, 1982.
Erected 1988 by O.O. McIntyre Park District, Gallia County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-27.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 0.587′ N, 82° 21.286′ W. Marker is in Ewington, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is on Ewington Road (County Route 149), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 176 Ewington Road, Vinton OH 45686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan's Raid (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Lambert Land Settlement Wilkesville (approx. 4.7 miles away); Morgan's Raid in Vinton County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Henry Duc and the Defenders of Our Country (approx. 4.8 miles away); Stockyard (approx. 6.4 miles away); Stock Shed (approx. 6.4 miles away); Scales (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.