Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Methodist Episcopal Church of Glendale Sanctuary
Built 1920 -1928
—Dedicated February 3, 1929 —
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
January 11, 2006
The First United Methodist Church of Glendale was originally chartered as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Glendale in 1894. The Sanctuary was designed by Los Angeles architects, G. A. Faithful and L. B. Baker, and is an outstanding example of Gothic Revival architecture. The design elements include granite columns, arches, and a 50-foot bell tower. W. M. Mullen built the structure with labor donated by church volunteers, at a cost of $12,000. The distinctive characteristic of the sanctuary at the time of construction was the unique use of "clinker" bricks. Being heavier than regular bricks, the name "clinker" brick is said to come from the sound the bricks would make when banged together. The distorted shapes and intense hues of the bricks were accidentally created when the surface of the brick became too close to the fire, which changed them into volcanic textures. The bricks were originally discarded, but were discovered by builders and architects around 1920, who found visual energy and natural beauty in their irregularity.
Location. 33° 32.419′ N, 112° 11.107′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7102 North 58th Drive, Glendale AZ 85301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Catlin Court Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Murphy Park (about 400 feet away); Glendale Townsite (about 500 feet away); Glendale Business District (about 500 feet away); Glendale's Towering Flagstaff (about 500 feet away); William J. Murphy (about 700 feet away); C. L. Gillett Block/Glendale State Bank Building (about 700 feet away); Humphrey and Davidson Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Also see . . . Glendale Historic Downtown Walking Tour. This is stop #1 on the Glendale Walking Tour. There has been a Methodist Church on this corner since 1897. (Submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 8, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.