Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Morcomb's Service Station and House
Built 1930 and 1936
of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
April 6, 2006
Ed and Bessie Morcomb and their son Den acquired this property in 1935, as an 18-hole miniature golf course called "Dinky Links". Within one year of the purchase, they converted the golf course into a Signal Oil Company service station and began construction on the adobe house, using earth from the site for the bricks. Upon the death of his father, Harry, their other son, returned home from the war and ran the business with his mother and brother. Upon his death in 2004, his children sold the property to the City of Glendale. The city began efforts to restore the service station and adobe house in 2007.
Location. 33° 32.542′ N, 112° 11.411′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is at the intersection of West Myrtle Avenue and Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Myrtle Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Glendale AZ 85301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Floralcroft Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Catlin Court Historic District C. H. Tinker House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church of Glendale Sanctuary (approx. 0.3 miles away); 59th Avenue Residential Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glendale High School Auditorium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glendale Townsite (approx. 0.4 miles away); Murphy Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 7, 8. submitted on January 20, 2011, by Michael D Martin of Gig Harbor, Washington. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.