Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
59th Avenue Residential Historic District
of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
September 6, 2006
This District is part of Block 9 and 16 of the Hadsell's Addition. The District is made up of nearly a full section of land that was platted into 20-acre lots in 1892, by B. A. Hadsell, founder of the Glendale Temperance Colony. The District represents early rural development where homes were built on large, split lots. Bungalows were built first, followed by Period Revival, National Folk, Spanish Colonial Revival, American Colonial Revival, and Ranch design styles. Although there were earlier houses built in this District that have been demolished, the oldest house in the District dates back to 1923. In 1952, Architect Max Dorne designed the Ranch house at 7508 North 59th Avenue, which was the most expensive house in Glendale at a cost of $32,000. Mr. Dorne also designed Barry Goldwater's house. The housing development of this district ended in 1955. Issac Eyer planted the distinctive row of palm trees in 1895.
Location. 33° 32.759′ N, 112° 11.178′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is at the intersection of North 59th Avenue Touch for map. Marker is on northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Glendale AZ 85301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Floralcroft Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morcomb's Service Station and House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Catlin Court Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glendale Townsite (approx. 0.4 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church of Glendale Sanctuary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Murphy Park (approx. half a mile away); Glendale Business District (approx. half a mile away); Glendale's Towering Flagstaff (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then and 150 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.