Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valencia in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Rancho San Francisco

 
 
Rancho San Francisco Marker image. Click for full size.
By Konrad R Summers
1. Rancho San Francisco Marker
Inscription. Approximately one-half mile south of this point was the adobe headquarters of Rancho San Francisco, originally built about 1804 as a granary of Mission San Fernando. The rancho was granted to Antonio de Valle in 1839. Here, in January 1850, William Lewis Manly and John Rogers obtained supplies and animals to rescue their comrades in a California-bound gold-seeking emigrant party that was stranded and starving in Death Valley, some 250 miles to the northeast.
 
Erected 1958 by California State Parks Commision in cooperation with the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and the Death Valley '49ers. (Marker Number 556.)
 
Location. 34° 26.415′ N, 118° 36.313′ W. Marker is in Valencia, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on The Old Road/Golden State Highway east of Henry Mayo Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valencia CA 91355, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ridge Route (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oak of the Golden Dream (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mentryville (approx. 4.2 miles away); Pioneer Oil Refinery
Rancho San Francisco Marker image. Click for full size.
By Konrad R Summers
2. Rancho San Francisco Marker
(approx. 4.9 miles away); a different marker also named Oak of the Golden Dream (approx. 4.9 miles away); a different marker also named Oak of the Golden Dream (approx. 7.6 miles away); Eternal Valley (approx. 7.7 miles away); Last Horse Drawn Hearse of Los Angeles County (approx. 7.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Rancho San Francisco. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.556 on August 24, 1956.
 
Also see . . .  Rancho San Francisco. The Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society provides information and photos of the area. (Submitted on May 14, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2010, by Konrad R Summers of Santa Clarita, California. This page has been viewed 1,023 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2010, by Konrad R Summers of Santa Clarita, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement