Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Church

 
 
Early Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Early Church Marker
Inscription. On land given March 8, 1845, by John C. Caskey for cemetery and meeting house. Originally 2-story, the native stone structure is believed to have been built before 1855, financed by J. W. Atkinson and Dr. O. Benedict. In that era it housed a school, Baptist and Methodist worship services, and Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges. It was purchased in 1924 by Primitive Baptists and reduced to one story in an extensive remodeling in 1950.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970.
 
Erected 1970 by the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9084.)
 
Location. 30° 50.289′ N, 97° 47.362′ W. Marker is in Florence, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Suttles Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence TX 76527, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Florence (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Florence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lawler Community (approx. 3 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx.
Early Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
2. Early Church Marker
7.4 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home (approx. 8.1 miles away); The Community of Briggs (approx. 8 miles away); Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 928 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 4, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on October 22, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement