Near Gurley in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Author and Social Leader who was known
in Washington society
as "The Belle of the Fifties"
Whose first husband, Clement Claiborne Clay (1817-1882), was
United States Senator from Alabama (1853-1861)
and Confederate Leader (1861-1865)
and Whose second husband, David Clopton (1820-1892),
was a United States Congressman
from Alabama (1859-1861)
and later Associate Justice
of the Supreme Court of Alabama.
Erected 1958 by Huntsville Historical Society/The Virginia Clay Clopton Chapter, U.D.C.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 41.596′ N, 86° 21.565′ W. Marker is near Gurley, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker can be reached from John T Reid Parkway/Lee Highway (U.S. 72) ¼ mile east of Walker Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is just before the Jackson/Madison County line when traveling East. It is in the front yard of the house. Marker is in this post office area: Gurley AL 35748, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Gurley (approx. The History of Paint Rock, Alabama / Paint Rock Arrests in 1931 Began 'Scottsboro Boys' Cases (approx. 2.6 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 5 miles away); Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); a different marker also named Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Decatur County (approx. 8 miles away); Shiloh United Methodist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); Whitaker Cemetery (approx. 9.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The home is privately owned. Please ask permission when visiting the site.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on May 21, 2010, by John H. Graham of Stevenson, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.