Quantico Marine Corps Base in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In Commemoration of the Secretaries’ First Conference
Guest of Honor
Dwight D. Eisenhower
President of the United States
Richard M. Nixon
Vice President of the United States
One hundred twenty distinguished civilian and military leaders of the Department of Defense and other Executive Departments
Roger M. Kyes … Deputy Secretary of Defense
Robert T. Stevens … Secretary of the Army
Robert B. Anderson … Secretary of the Navy
Harold E. Talbott … Secretary of the Air Force
Erected 1953 by the United States Marine Corps.
Location. 38° 31.427′ N, 77° 18.337′ W. Marker is in Quantico Marine Corps Base, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Lejeune Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located to the right of the entrance to Harry Lee Hall, aboard Marine Corps Base Quantico. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 Lejeune Road, Quantico VA 22134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barber Fitness Center (approx. half a mile away); Kelly Hall Crusading for Right (approx. half a mile away); Mann Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Waller Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Acquisition of Quantico Marine Reservation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jordan Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quantico Marine Corps Base.
1. Harry Lee Hall
Harry Lee Hall was constructed on “Rising Hill” in 1935 to serve as an Officers’ Club. Engineers from the 10th Marine Regiment cut the stones used to construct the building from a nearby quarry. October 1968, the Officer’s Mess was relocated from Waller Hall to Harry Lee Hall. Harry Lee Hall served continuously as the Officers’ Club, Officer’s Mess, and Bachelor Officer Quarters until 1995.
Harry Lee Hall hosted the 1st Secretaries Conference in 1953. This historic meeting gathered the Secretaries of Defense, the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force, the Deputy Secretary of Defense and 120 civilian and military leaders from the Department
For over sixty years Harry Lee Hall served as a gathering place for Marine Officers. Countless Mess Nights, Dinings-In, Wet-Downs, Weddings, Receptions, Promotion Ceremonies, and informal gatherings took place. Harry Lee Hall was a place for Officers to celebrate being Marines, share camaraderie, and trade professional thoughts and opinions.
In 1997, in order to preserve this building for generations of Marines to come at the direction of the Commandant of the Marine Corps, General Charles C. Krulak, Harry Lee Hall underwent a major refurbishment. In December 1998, it was re-opened as the home for the Promotion Branch. The club and Mess facilities were converted into office spaces and boardrooms. The Bachelor Officer Quarters on the third deck were converted into Transient Officer Quarters.
Harry Lee Hall was named in honor of Major General Harry Lee, former Commandant of Marine Corps Schools. Major General Lee served in the Marine Corps from 1898 until his death in 1936. He served in the War with Spain, World War I, the Banana Wars, and Santo Domingo. He was assigned as Military Governor of Santo Domingo, the first, and only, Marine officer ever to be assigned to this stature. He commanded the Marine Guard Legation in Peking, 6th Regiment, 1st Regiment, 2nd Brigade, Marine
His awards include: 4 2nd Division Citations, the Croix de Guerre with 3 palms, the Army Distinguished Service Medal, the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, a citation from General Pershing, and the French Legion of Honor.
From a commemorative display immediately inside the entrance to Harry Lee Hall (see picture 3).
— Submitted October 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • 20th Century • Military • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,753 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.