South Saint Paul in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Armour & Company
1919 – 1979
When Armour & Company began operations on a 47 acre site here on the west bank of the Mississippi River in 1919, it was acclaimed by the nation's press as the most modern meat processing plant in the world. It was the largest industrial plant in the Twin Cities and extended more than half a mile along the river. There were nine steam boilers in the power plant which provided heat and hot water. The $14 million, six-story complex of 1.6 million square feet included 22 buildings of which 450,000 square feet were refrigerated. Water needed for plant operation was supplied by four wells that ranged from 890 to 1,000 feet deep. Water used annually was equal to that of a city of 80,000 people.
The plant opened
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The new immigrants were also encouraged to become naturalized citizens.
At capacity this plant processed 700 hogs hourly during an eight-hour shift, as well as 180 cattle and 1,000 calves and sheep. The operations were inspected daily by the United States Department of Agricultural (USDA). There were 21 railroad spur lines which served the site, assuring that the finished products could be swiftly moved to customers.
Armour operated 33 meat packing plants in the United States at one time and employed 60,000 people. The South St. Paul plant was the largest. Many of its products were shipped around the world, especially during the war years to aid U.S. and allied forces. At its peak operation, the plant employed close to 4,000 with the annual payroll of $26 million. Armour paid more than $260,000 yearly in various taxes.
Labor-management disputes flared during the life of the plant and in 1948 the Minnesota National Guard
Armour & Company was later acquired by the Greyhound Corp. with executive offices moved from Chicago to Phoenix. As the buildings aged, with equipment becoming obsolete, the plant was closed in 1979. The city of South St. Paul purchased the vacated plant in 1989 from a local real estate firm. The next year at a cost of $2.8 million the buildings were demolished. Today the site is part of Bridge Point, a commercial - industrial development.
Erected 1977 by the South St. Paul Chapter of the Dakota County Historical Society.
Location. 44° 53.248′ N, 93° 1.501′ W. Marker is in South Saint Paul, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on Armour Avenue west of Hardman Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker can be reached from Interstate 494, Exit 64A. Marker is in this post office area: South Saint Paul MN 55075, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Stockyards (approx. ¼ mile away); Swift & Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kaposia Village (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Salem Evangelical Church B-52 Crash Site (approx. 4.7 miles away); Lambert's Landing (approx. 5 miles away); The Reverend Lucien Galtier (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Saint Paul.
Also see . . . Armour and Company. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on May 28, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,050 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.