Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bennettsville Presbyterian Church
This church was founded in 1855 by nine members of the Great Pee Dee Presbyterian Church, 5 mi. SE. Rev. Pierpont E. Bishop was its first permanent minister. The first church, a frame building, was dedicated in 1855. Elder J. Beatty Jennings was a delegate to the First General Assembly of the Confederate States, in 1861. The second church here, a brick building, was completed in 1907.
The second church burned Aug. 24, 1907, before any worship service could be held in it. The present church, described as “almost a duplicate of the burned church,” was dedicated in 1911. The chapel and educational building were constructed in 1946. The sanctuary, chapel, and educational building were completely renovated in 2003-05 in honor of the church’s 150th anniversary.
Erected 1972 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 35-13.)
Location. 34° 36.921′ N, 79° 41.026′ W. Marker is in Bennettsville, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Business State Highway 38) and McColl Street, on the left when traveling north on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Broad Street, Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Female Academy (about 300 feet away); Jennings-Brown House (about 400 feet away); General John McQueen (about 500 feet away); Marlborough County Court House (about 500 feet away); Bennettsville (about 600 feet away); Murchison School (about 600 feet away); Confederate Civil War Monument (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
Also see . . . Bennettsville Historic District National Register of Historic Place Nomination Form. (Submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.