Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Peter's Catholic Church

34 Wentworth Street

 
 
St. Peter's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, June 13, 2010
1. St. Peter's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. November 18, 1866 Bishop Patrick N. Lynch purchased a Jewish synagogue at 34 Wentworth Street and its adjacent property to establish a church for African American Catholics and approximately two years later he dedicated St. Peter's Catholic Church. The parish was named after St. Peter the Apostle. Jesuit Father Aloysius Louis was appointed the first pastor. A school was founded in the rectory by Father Folchi, which later moved to a two-story building at 51 Society Street and in 1907 Immaculate Conception was established as St. Peter's mission and Immaculate Conception School on Sheppard Street. Bishop William T. Russell appointed The Holy Ghost Fathers and the Oblate Sisters of Providence to serve the St. Peter's community in 1917. St. Peter's Church was closed in 1968 and the community moved to St. Patrick's Catholic Church at 134 St. Phillip Street.
 
Erected 2002 by Moja Arts Festival / City of Charleston.
 
Location. 32° 47.031′ N, 79° 55.848′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Wentworth Street 0.1 miles west of Anson Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 34 Wentworth Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Old St. Peter's Catholic Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, June 13, 2010
2. Old St. Peter's Catholic Church Building
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William C. McElheran House (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Joseph Johnson House   (within shouting distance of this marker); William Rhett House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. William Rhett House (about 300 feet away); Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett (about 400 feet away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); 14 George Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Moses C. Levy House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Also see . . .  St. Patrick Catholic Church. Site contains old images of St. Peter's Church. (Submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
Old St. Peter's Catholic Church Building image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, June 13, 2010
3. Old St. Peter's Catholic Church Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 624 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement