Sonora in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Tuolumne County Jail
1857 – 1960
Using some salvaged material from the prior jail, the present structure was completed in 1866. Quarters for the jailer were added to the front at a later date, and the jail served the County of Tuolumne until 1960 when the county justice building on the adjacent lot to the north was erected and this building dedicated as the County Museum.
Erected 1973 by Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors and the Tuolumne County Historical Society. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 37° 59.022′ N, 120° 23.131′ W. Marker is in Sonora, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker can be reached from West Bradford Avenue west of Lower Sunset Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the front Tuolumne County Museum and History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 158 West Bradford Avenue, Sonora CA 95370, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Jedediah Strong Smith (a few steps from this marker); Tuolumne County Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tuolumne County Albert N. Francisco Building (about 700 feet away); Site of the First Office of The Union Democrat (about 800 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Home of Wells Fargo & Company in Sonora (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of the Sonora Daily (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Sonora Plaza Well (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonora.
Also see . . . Tuolumne County Jail. Tom Horn, a miner from nearby Columbia, who on December 20 of 1865, raised a little too much havoc in the local saloons was locked up for the night. He set a fire in his cell that resulted in the destruction of the jail and his cremation. (Submitted on June 27, 2010.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 905 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 16, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.