Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

St. Mary Church and Rectory

Ridgefield, Connecticut

 

—The Museum in the Streets —

 
St. Mary Church and Rectory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
1. St. Mary Church and Rectory Marker
Inscription.
A New Catholic Church was first planned in 1896. This Victorian Gothic building was completed and dedicated on July 5, 1897. This building is described by the Ridgefield Preservation Trust as "… one of Ridgefield's finest buildings…a complex and disciplined design [and] reflects the idealistic romantic approach to the architecture of the Victorian age." On September 12, 1901 its bell tolled for the first time on the occasion of the death of President William McKinley. The Victorian-style church rectory seen in the photograph was completed in 1894. It was razed in 1974.
The building across the street that is now the church's parish-house was built in 1907. it was used for many years by the Knights of Columbus and Marquette Council No. 254, organized in 1897. The first meeting of the Knights of Columbus was held in the old St. Mary Church at the eastern end of Catoonah St. (Marker Number 15.)
 
Location. 41° 16.876′ N, 73° 30.197′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Catoonah Street and High Ridge Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Catoonah Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
St. Mary Church and Rectory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
2. St. Mary Church and Rectory Marker
distance of this marker. Out of the Ashes … (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (approx. ¼ mile away); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Society of Ridgefield (approx. ¼ mile away); The Original Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Village in the 1900s (approx. ¼ mile away); More of the Great Fire (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgefield.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Mary Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
3. St. Mary Church
St. Mary Parish House - 1907 image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
4. St. Mary Parish House - 1907
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement