Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Corpus Christi
Worship services for the church were conducted in a renovated blacksmith shop at the corner of Mesquite and Starr Streets until about 1908. In 1910 the congregation built a brick sanctuary at Mesquite and Taylor, which served until new facilities were occupied on Ocean Drive on March 23, 1950.
From the late 1870's, when Corpus Christi was a small isolated coastal village, to the present, the First Baptist Church has led in the development of the area. Known for its community service ministries and its active support of Baptist programs, the church has also been instrumental in the formation of several local congregations. Ministers here have included such prominent Baptist leaders as Dr. J.M. Carroll, the church's first missionary pastor, Dr. D.B. South, the Rev. R.O. Cawker and Dr. C.E. Hereford.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1625.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3115 Ocean Drive, Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alonzo Álvarez de Pineda (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elihu Harrison Ropes (approx. 0.8 miles away); Capitán Blas María de la Garza Falcón (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of Kinney's Trading Post (approx. 2.2 miles away); Centennial House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Gold Star Court of Honor (approx. 2.2 miles away); Corpus Christi Cathedral Site (approx. 2.2 miles away); Gutzon Borglum and the Corpus Christi Bayfront (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 799 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.