Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Clemens in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 20, 2010
1. Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. When this Collegiate Gothic Church, designed by Cleveland architect Herman W. Maurer, was dedicated during the week of of January 3, 1926, the Mount Clemens Daily Leader called it a "Monument to Unity of Action." Over a century earlier, in 1820, the Reverend John Kent had held the area's first Methodist Episcopal services. He formally organized the congregation in 1836. The first church was erected in 1841 on land donated by Christian Clemens, who helped plat Mount Clemens in 1818. In 1849, under the inspiring leadership of the Reverend Seth Reed, the Methodists acquired a larger structure, formerly used by Congregationalists and Presbyterians. A third church, remembered as "The Green Church," was built in 1882 and served until the present one was erected.
 
Erected 1995 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number 1925.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 35.836′ N, 82° 52.877′ W. Marker is in Mount Clemens, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of Cass Avenue and Southbound Gratiot Avenue (Michigan Highway 3), on the right when traveling west on Cass Avenue. Touch for map
Methodist Episcopal Church (now First United Methodist Church of Mount Clemens) image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 20, 2010
2. Methodist Episcopal Church (now First United Methodist Church of Mount Clemens)
. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Clemens MI 48043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Clemens Mineral Bath Industry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crocker House (about 600 feet away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Zion Church (approx. mile away); Saint Mary's School (approx. mile away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. mile away); Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Clinton Grove Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Clemens.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement