Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jonesville in Hillsdale County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Grace Episcopal Church

 
 
Grace Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 18, 2010
1. Grace Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. William N. Lyster, Irish-born missionary, preached in Jonesville in 1836, and Darius Barker organized the parish in 1838. A church featuring Classical and Gothic styling was begun in 1844 and consecrated by Bishop Samuel McCoskry in 1848. Panelling and furniture made from black walnut are still in place. William Walton Murphy, a founder and vestryman, was Abraham Lincoln's consul-general to the German city of Frankfort.
 
Erected 1972 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number 84.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 59.052′ N, 84° 39.606′ W. Marker is in Jonesville, Michigan, in Hillsdale County. Marker is at the intersection of East Chicago Street (U.S. 12) and East Street, on the right when traveling east on East Chicago Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360 East Chicago Street, Jonesville MI 49250, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grosvenor House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Father Gabriel Richard (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hillsdale College (approx. 3.8 miles away);
Grace Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 18, 2010
2. Grace Episcopal Church Marker
College Baptist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Hillsdale (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sultana (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesville.
 
Also see . . .  St. Michael and All Angels Church. William Lyster founded St. Michael and All Angels Church in Cambridge Township, Michigan in 1843. (Submitted on July 2, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 669 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement