Rushville in Rush County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dr. William B. Laughlin
Dec. 17, 1778 - - Jan. 1, 1837
He helped create the County in the Legislature. He surveyed and named it. He built the first house. He located and named the town. He gave the land for the town. He built and taught the first school. He built the Academy and the first mill. He gave $2,000.00 for the first church (Presbyterian).
Erected 1923 by Rush County Citizens.
Location. 39° 36.487′ N, 85° 26.625′ W. Marker is in Rushville, Indiana, in Rush County. Marker is on East 2nd Street east of Main Street (State Road 3), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located on the North lawn of the Rush County Courthouse in Rushville, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Rushville IN 46173, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wendell L. Willkie, 1892 - 1944 (here, next to this marker); Rush County (Indiana) War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wendell L. Willkie (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Wendell L. Willkie Wendell L. Willkie, (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Wendell L. Willkie (approx. 1.1 miles away); Revolutionary Soldiers of Henry County (approx. 13.7 miles away); Veterans Garden of Memories (approx. 13.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rushville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 605 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.