Greenfield in Hancock County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hancock County, Indiana
Early industries: grist and saw mills, tanneries, flax factories. 1890, Era of gas boom: glass factories flourished: nor gone. Present Court House, the Fourth, completed 1898.
Townships: Blue River, Brandywine, Brown, Buck Creek, Center, Green, Jackson, Sugar Creed, and Vernon.
by The Hancock Co. Sesquicentennial Commission
Dorothy June Williams, Chairman
Elizabeth Snodgrass, Secretary
Elbert Griffith, Treasurer
Erected 1967 by Hancock So. Aesquicentennial Commission.
Location. 39° 47.11′ N, 85° 46.115′ W. Marker is in Greenfield, Indiana, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 40) and East Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the North/East lawn of the Hancock County Courthouse in Greenfield, Indiana.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Whitcomb Riley (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named James Whitcomb Riley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Democratic Party Rooster (approx. 0.7 miles away); Whetzel Trace (approx. 12.7 miles away); Bicentennial (approx. 15.6 miles away); Massacre of Indians (approx. 15.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Virtual Tour ( Courtesy - - Indiana Government web page). (Submitted on February 13, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Government • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 701 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.